The Eastern Center for Arts and Technology was founded in 1965 as an Area Vocational Technical School under the administration of the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit. The school was capitalized and sponsored by nine public school districts. In the mid-seventies, the governance of the school was fully assumed by the Boards of School Directors of the nine districts organized under an agreement entitled “Articles of Jointure for Operation of the Eastern Center for Arts and Technology.”
The EAC is a standing committee appointed by the Upper Dublin School Board. The membership is composed of parents and citizens-at-large. Representatives of the Administration, School Board, Student Body, and Teaching Staff serve as ex-officio members. Regular monthly meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month. The committee was created in 1967 to serve as a “think tank” with the objective to look at the entire educational system of Upper Dublin to investigate any segment and make recommendations.
Dr. Deborah Wheeler, Superintendent Joan Ryder Ludwig, School Board Liaison Eva Morrison, Administrative Liaison Vera Shembel, Teacher Representative
Erin Fraclose, Teacher Representative
Felix Li, Student Representative
Research topics are selected at the request of the board and/or the administration, or initiated by members of the committee. The committee uses a variety of techniques for its research such as surveys, literature reviews, site visits, and comparisons with practices in other districts. The results of the studies are provided to the board and other interested parties. The information is intended to assist board members and school administrators in making decisions related to all aspects of education in the School District of Upper Dublin.
Individuals who are interested in serving on the committee may contact the Office of the Superintendent or an EAC official for additional information.
A list of all the reports generated by the EAC over the years can be accessed by the public without restrictions via the following link: EAC REPORTS ONLY
The Upper Dublin Education Foundation (UDEF), using innovative methods and concepts, will develop techniques for identifying new and non-traditional sources of community resources and funds for the School District of Upper Dublin. Through new programs and projects, the Foundation will enhance alumni, community, and business involvement in school district activities. With the help of outside resources, the foundation will create, develop, promote, recommend, and facilitate new educational endeavors designed to prepare students to excel in a rapidly changing global environment.
UDEF Programs The Upper Dublin Education Foundation is committed to enhancing educational experiences for students across the Upper Dublin School District. Helping our students succeed is our priority, and we do this through support of enriching programs, such as:
UDSD’s 21st Century Teaching and Learning Initiative, which includes 1-to-1 Chromebook deployment for grades 5-12
Educational Grants, designed to encourage innovation and hands-on teaching tools
Cardinal Opportunities Mentoring Program, where volunteers empower high school students as they prepare for their futures
North Hills Education and Recreation Program, supporting nearly 100 at-risk students with tutoring, homework assistance, after school activities and a camp to maintain academic progress in the summer months
State-of-the-art classroom equipment including a 3D printer, milling machine and weather stations
Arts support through the purchase of new musical instruments and financial scholarships
Unique learning opportunities at the Sandy Run Planetarium
Upper Dublin dates back to the Colonies in 1684, when Edward Tanner named his land grant from William Penn “Upper and Lower Dublin”. The “lower” portion has since been absorbed by Philadelphia. The “upper” portion has continued to exist around the original survey for the laying out and naming of Susquehanna Road. Upper Dublin Township was established in 1701, when William Penn ordered a survey of all townships in the Commonwealth. It was first settled in 1698 and was incorporated in 1719 according to records from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commissionregarding Montgomery County municipalities. The Township was granted its current status of First Class Township in the State of Pennsylvania on January 1, 1946. Originally the area started as a farming community with additional activity in the mining of limestone. Limekiln Pike today continues to be an important travel artery. Historically the Township boasts of George Washington’s headquarters at the Emlen House in 1777. This was during the Whitemarsh Encampment, prior to the fateful march to Valley Forge. George Emlen, a Philadelphia Quaker, had built this family summer house around 1745.
Business and Industry
The primary center of business and industry in the Township is the Fort Washington Office Park. It occupies 536 acres. There is about 6 million square feet of building area in the park. There are more than 65 buildings of various sizes up to 658,535 square feet. There are other centers of business and industry as well throughout the Township.
Upper Dublin became a First Class Township in 1946. In accordance with the Pennsylvania First Class Township Code, the elected representatives (Commissioners) serve 4 year terms. The government is a Council/Manager type. There are seven Commissioners, one for each ward. The Commissioners from odd numbered wards stand for election in 2011, 2015, etc. and the even numbered wards in 2012, 2016, etc. The manager runs the day to day operations with his staff. There are 6 departments: Administration, Finance, Public Works, Police, Parks and Recreation, and Code Enforcement. The fire protection is provided primarily by the Fort Washington Fire Company No. 1 which is an all volunteer organization with dispatch from the Montgomery County central station.
Township staff developed reference sheets in response to a request to provide information for two Boy Scout merit badges dealing with our Local, State and Federal Governments. If you would like a copy of one or both of these reference sheets, please send your request via e-mail to DDureka@upperdublin.net.
The School District Of Upper Dublin
1580 Fort Washington Avenue Maple Glen, PA 19002 215.643.8800