Upper Dublin Township
About the Township
History of Upper Dublin Township
Upper Dublin dates back to the Colonies in 1684, when Edward Tanner named his land grant from William Penn "Upper and Lower Dublin". The "lower" portion has since been absorbed by Philadelphia. The "upper" portion has continued to exist around the original survey for the laying out and naming of Susquehanna Road. Upper Dublin Township was established in 1701, when William Penn ordered a survey of all townships in the Commonwealth. It was first settled in 1698 and was incorporated in 1719 according to records from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission regarding Montgomery County municipalities. The Township was granted its current status of First Class Township in the State of Pennsylvania on January 1, 1946. Originally the area started as a farming community with additional activity in the mining of limestone. Limekiln Pike today continues to be an important travel artery. Historically the Township boasts of George Washington's headquarters at the Emlen House in 1777. This was during the Whitemarsh Encampment, prior to the fateful march to Valley Forge. George Emlen, a Philadelphia Quaker, had built this family summer house around 1745.
Business and Industry
The primary center of business and industry in the Township is the Fort Washington Office Park. It occupies 536 acres. There is about 6 million square feet of building area in the park. There are more than 65 buildings of various sizes up to 658,535 square feet. There are other centers of business and industry as well throughout the Township.
Upper Dublin became a First Class Township in 1946. In accordance with the Pennsylvania First Class Township Code, the elected representatives (Commissioners) serve 4 year terms. The government is a Council/Manager type. There are seven Commissioners, one for each ward. The Commissioners from odd numbered wards stand for election in 2011, 2015, etc. and the even numbered wards in 2012, 2016, etc. The manager runs the day to day operations with his staff. There are 6 departments: Administration, Finance, Public Works, Police, Parks and Recreation, and Code Enforcement. The fire protection is provided primarily by the Fort Washington Fire Company No. 1 which is an all volunteer organization with dispatch from the Montgomery County central station.
Township staff developed reference sheets in response to a request to provide information for two Boy Scout merit badges dealing with our Local, State and Federal Governments. If you would like a copy of one or both of these reference sheets, please send your request via e-mail to DDureka@upperdublin.net.