Applause!! Applause!! Great things are happening in the School District of Upper Dublin!
- This summer we have had our first ever, invitation only, free pre-kindergarten readiness classes. The purpose of this program is to help students transition successfully into kindergarten. Our youngest learners are getting to know what school is all about through this program. We look forward to welcoming each of these students to kindergarten in the fall!
- Our FWES Principal, Mr. McAleer, has been on a home visit tour to meet his incoming kindergarten class. You can follow FWES on Instagram to see some great photos of Mr. McAleer and his new friends!
- Every year a Pennsylvania principal can nominate one teacher to be a Keystone Innovator, connecting them to a community of educators who use technology in creative ways to engage learners and improve student performance. Keystone Innovators can then apply to become Keystone Stars. Those who are selected attend a week long summer Technology Innovators STAR Summit at Shippensburg University. This year three of our Keystone Innovators applied and all were accepted to participate in the summit on July 23-28! Congratulations to Erica Stianchi (MGES), Stephanie Colletti (SRMS), and Megan Gallagher (UDHS).
- Future Business Leaders of America Update
- Juniors Jason Won and Maddie Sanders completed in Virtual Business Management, placed 1st in the nation
- Sophomore Caleb Cho & Junior Kevin Zhu competed in LifeSmarts, placed 2nd in the nation
- Junior Eric Hu competed in Networking Concepts, placed 2nd in the nation
- Junior Joshua Hong competed in Virtual Business Finance, placed 5th in the nation
- Freshman Eric Zhong – competed in Introduction to Information Technology, placed 10th in the nation
- Jarrett Felix, a 2010 UDHS graduate has written a book entitled, The Running Diaries, Part I. He writes under the pen name John Trainor. The book is available on Amazon. We are proud of Jarrett and congratulate him, his family, his teachers, and his coaches on this wonderful accomplishment.
News from Across the District
- Maple Glen Principal to Start August 1st – We are excited to announce that Mr. Rob Corcoran will begin in Upper Dublin on August 1st. Since his appointment earlier this summer, Mr. Corcoran worked with Mr. Bickhart in transition, and he has been working on items for Maple Glen to ensure our students and staff enjoy a successful start to the 2018-2019 school year.
- Extended School Year and Summer Scholars – The hallways of Upper Dublin High School are filled with sights and sounds of students learning. It has been a pleasure getting to know our students and staff!
- Recent Article about Taxes – Recently there have been a number of articles regarding taxes in our District. Over the last few years, one line item alone–PSERS (retirement)–has increased by millions of dollars. As we build budgets for the future, we will continue to design needs-based budgets that are both educationally and fiscally sound.
- Board Briefs – Following each legislative meeting, starting with this one, the District will release a Board Briefs document, which will highlight actions taken by the Board. We hope that this will allow us to capture what happens at our legislative meetings in a timely manner.
- Board and Superintendent Collaboration – As part of my onboarding process, we will have a Board retreat, facilitated by the Chester County Intermediate Unit. Along with that retreat, we will establish Board and Superintendent goals for the upcoming year. I will publish my goals on our website for transparency.
- With Gratitude – I would like to thank everyone for a warm welcome to Upper Dublin. As I have said many times, I am honored to be your Superintendent, and I look forward to many years of good work ahead on behalf of our students, staff, and community!
Please consider following me on Twitter @UpperDubSuper, and stay tuned to our District’s Facebook page for news and updates!